- face incredible challenge- stanąć przed …/ musieć sporstać niesamowitemu wyzwaniu
- visual range- widoczność/ zasięg wzroku
cite unstable approach indications- podać niestabilne/ zmienne wskazania podejścia
The two pilots aboard an Air India Boeing 777-300 flight from Delhi faced incredible challenge carrying 370 passengers approaching New York’s JFK International Airport. As the big Boeing was descending through 300 feet with an airport runway visual range reported at 3,500 feet, the crew executed a missed approach citing unstable approach indications.
- unusable- nienadający się do użycia
- remaining- pozostałe
- capability- zdolność/ możliwość/ umiejętność
As the aircraft climbed back up through 2,000 feet, the pilots told approach control they’d lost some equipment, a number of instruments, in fact, including the localizer, one of two radio altimeters and two of three remaining barometric altimeters. The Airplane’s auxiliary power unit was also unusable, as well as the Boeing’s autoland capability.
- they realized the failures deprived them of … – zdali sobie sobie sprawę, że awaria pozbawiła ich …
- allow for … – umożliwić/ dopuścić możliwość …
- report- podać/ zgłosić/ poinformować
- learn- dowiedzieć się (synonim dla find out)
- … was beginning to get tight on fuel – zaczynało brakować mu paliwa
The pilot handling the radios told approach they wanted another try at 4 Right, but wanted a long turn on to the final approach course, but then realized the failures deprived them of the ability to fly the ILS. The crew asked approach about local airports with weather that included at least a 600-foot ceiling that would allow for a non-precision approach. The flight’s original alternate and secondary airports, Newark and Stewart both reported ceilings lower than 600 feet. The crew learned Albany’s ceiling was right at 600 feet so they then asked for Boston’s weather. By now, the 777 was beginning to get tight on fuel.
- consider options- rozważać / rozpatrywać możliwości
- set up for the runway …- zaplanować/ ustalić/ skierować na ….
Approach told the Air India crew the best weather they could locate was at Bradley Connecticut, 100 miles northeast. As the pilots considered their options, the ceiling at nearby Newark had increased to 400 feet so the crew decided to head to New Jersey. The pilots climbed the aircraft to 5,000 feet as approach control set them up for the runway 4 Right ILS at Newark. The crew reminded approach they’d lost ILS capabilities and needed the LNAV/VNAV to the 10,000-foot long Runway 4 Right.
WATCH HERE THE REPORT on Air India multi-system failure.
- available information indicates- dostępne informacje wskazują
- advise no other assistance is necessary- poinformować, że dalsza pomoc nie jest niezbędna
Available information indicates the crew eventually flew the EWR GPS Y approach to Runway 4 Right. While inbound on final approach however, Newark Tower issued the pilots a low-altitude alert and re-issued the current altimeter. Ninety seconds later, and some 38 minutes after the missed approach at JFK, the Boeing 777 landed safely at Newark. The crew advised no further assistance was necessary.