- The regional battery-powered airline with 40 seaplanes operates half-hour flights carrying up to 19 passengers between Vancouver, Seattle and communities in coastal British Columbia.
- The short flights make it well-suited for a battery-powered engine.
- The aircraft is able to fly for 30 minutes with a 30-minute reserve on a one-hour charge.
- They will plug-in and charge at the Vancouver Harbour Flight Centre dock, and pull from BC Hydro, the provincial energy utility’s hydroelectric power grid, itself a renewable source of energy.
Film + Vocabulary
- 0:26′ instant – natychmiastowy
- 0:26′ torque – moment obrotowy
- 0:34′ electric propulsion – napęd elektryczny
- 0:42′ way more expensive – o wiele bardziej drogi
- 0:54′ sustainability – ekologiczność / 1:01′ sustainable – ekologiczny
- 1:07′ short hauls – krótkie loty
- 1:28′ venture – przedsięwzięcie
- 1:40′ designed from scratch – zaprojektowany od podstaw / od początku
- on the environmental benefit side – z punktu widzenia korzyści dla środowiska
- in the long run – na dłuższą metę
- make flights affordable – sprawić, że loty są dostępne cenowo
- large audience – szeroka grupa odbiorców
On the environmental benefit side, there is zero carbon burn. In the long run, the operating economics will allow us to make more flights more affordable for a larger audience. Consider travel between Seattle and Pullman, Wash., the home of Washington State University. It’s a five-hour drive to see my daughter, but an expensive $450 commercial flight. An electric plane is so much cheaper to operate and the result is lower fares — maybe $100 return. There are thousands of cities in the United States where it is inconvenient to drive between them but too costly to fly.
- effcient – wydajny
- business case – projekt ciekawy biznesowo
If you can find an aerodynamically efficient aircraft like the Beaver seaplane that Harbour Air flies, or, say, a lightweight composite aircraft, there is a business case for this mission profile
- advance climate-friendly policies – rozwijać projekty / strategie przyjazne dla środowiska
- expeditious – sprawnie / szybko / wydajnie
Our city wants to advance climate-friendly policies in an expeditious way, so we celebrated their achievement
- signal a change – zapowiadać zmianę
The most exciting thing about this flight for me personally is that it signals a change in how we look at aviation, and how my kids will travel in the future
AVIATION MARKET / AVIATION TECHNOLOGY / AVIATION FUTURE